Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Heart of Delhi’s Streets

The city of Delhi is very well known for its magnificent and beautiful architectural complexes whether be it from ancient-medieval times or from the British as well as from the modern era. Lutyen’s Delhi which forms an integral part of its administrative region is surrounded by many diplomatic, government, private, educational, commercial and business structures and complexes which are exemplary of modern building designs and infrastructural development in the capital amidst of all, Connaught Place is one of the favorite hangout places for the public where enjoyment is felt in form of great eateries (Keventers, Lip Smacking Haldirams!!!!), pubs, cafes and quick-serving restaurants like McDonalds and KFC!!!.. Famous as C.P among the Dilliwalas and people from the other parts of the country; Connaught Place, the Heart of Delhi…. is largely surrounded by an urban fashionista stores and party centers, but streets of the heart have a different story to tell.




As the sun sets and darkness rises, the lights of CP and its happening public makes the scenario alive and joyful with their chahal-pahal , the Heart of Delhi is absorbed in its magnificent grace and charm, but apart from them the street vendors sitting there, add beauty to the place and forms the icing on the cake. Without these street vendors C.P seems to be incomplete which makes them the Heart of Delhi’s Streets… Dilliwasis are very fond of shopping at Reebok, partying at My-Bar, enjoying Coffee at Starbucks, par raste se kharidaari karne aur bhaav-tol karne ka apna alag hi maza hai jo ke har dilliwale ki ek pehchaan hai!!!

During the chilly winters while roaming in CP, I interacted with few of the street vendors and was amazed to see their enthusiasm and humility there were certain lighter moments shared with them while interacting.




I met a guy Rajesh selling plastic bangles and other accessories and asked him for a photo of his products and his own portrait, he said “Bhaiya photo lelo, par kahi police ko to nahi dogey na? hum bahot seedhe saadhe admi hai!!” I giggled and replied “nahi nahi bhaiya... aisa kuch nahi hoga.” 

Further I met a Gujarati lady who sold the handicrafts, purses and handmade mobile covers; she explained me that her ancestors hailed from Surendranagar (a small town in Gujarat) and they had been selling these handicrafts at CP since decades. 

While roaming around I stopped at a poster vendor, who had lots of amazing posters of football players, Breaking Bad and Suits characters which actually tempted me to buy them… I asked for the photograph but he refused saying “Yaha pe photo khichna mana hai,” but I went to the back and secretly clicked his photo…  



I met a boy who was selling happiness in form of balloons to people in order to make his stomach happy and satisf ied. At last I interacted with a fruit vendor Sachin, with whom I tried to bargain and he replied “Arey! Doosri jagaho par to aur bhi mehnga milta hai, hum to fir bhi saste mai de rahe hai.” 
















Finally, spotted an Ice-cream vendor waiting for his customers, not much could be sold due to the winters but Rozi roti kamane ke lie, mehnat to karni padegi hi na…

It was a great moment interacting with such people, the blend of big complexes along with the street vendors can teach a philosophical lesson that however you grow big in your life, never forget the little things which might add the beauty to your life and make it magnificent.

Awaiting reviews and comments.

Yash Sampat

No comments:

Post a Comment